4 wire fire alarm systems
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Sparkydelux
Tradesman
Tradesman

4 wire fire alarm systems

by Sparkydelux » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:30 pm

Hi,

Can anyone shine some light on the wiring layout for a 4 wire fire detection system please?

I am aware how the 2 wire system works and I'm just a little thrown off where the 3rd wire goes.

I havent seen a schematic of the fire panel yet but I would like to make myself familiar with the principles before I buy it.

All information passed on is appreciated.

Regards,

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:05 pm

Hi trust you are familiar with bs5839 pt1/6 and have training cert. cause if not your P/L insurance won't cover you!
If you 'design' the system you need design liability cover, and if fire occurs & for any reason alarm fails to operate correctly you need 'Efficacy' insurance or you become liable for cost of ALL loses!
Sorry to lay that on you but NAPIT/ECA etc insist on such cover if you do Fire/intruder alarms, for your own protection.
It costs a bit more on your yearly overheads but is really worth it, amazing how many leckies are under insured.
However in answer to your post 4 wires are simply 2 for detectors and 2 for sounders which can be either run seperately as 2X2core &cpc or as 1X4core& cpc if 'stacking' detectors on sounder bases.
All wiring must be in Flameproof low smoke cables such as FP100/Firetuf etc.
Not sure about '3Wire system' you refer to, not in this century anyway.
As for 2 wire combined systems where both sounders and detectors share same pair of wires YUCK! nice idea but rubbish equipment imho will never install anymore.
Only 2 wire system any good is addressable type which are ok until it needs extending later, need reprogramming etc, hassle,
good luck Sparx

Sparkydelux
Tradesman
Tradesman

Fire Alarm and emergency lighting courses

by Sparkydelux » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:21 pm

Thanks Sparx.

Do you happen to know of any organisations that offer quick courses to get me up to speed?

Tried NICEIC but only available in April.

Colleges don't really offer these sort of courses -strange as its a requirement.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Regards,

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:52 pm

Hi sparkydelux,
I did mine at Crawley college which is part owned by ECA and was available at short notice, (maybe it was quicker as a member).
Lots of 'colleges' advertise in 'Professional Electrician' mag, don't know what courses who offers though, must say I haven't noticed any Fire alarm or emergency lighting ones of late.
good luck,
SPARX

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:42 pm