4 wires to a socket for old electric radiator
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Br40hh
Labourer
Labourer

4 wires to a socket for old electric radiator

by Br40hh » Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:50 pm

Hi there. I had an wired electric radiator but I took it off. There are 4 wire electric cable (black, green, blue, brown)
Can I put a socket using these wires and just to use and plug in radiator? Thanks

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: 4 wires to a socket for old electric radiator

by Mr White » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:37 pm

It sounds like you had "cheap rate" electricity set up, which means the sockets only come on for a few hours close to midnight, so would be of no use now.
You could always get them tested and find out what they are/were connected to.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:37 pm

Economy 7 is a tariff not a system, there were a few ways over the years to make it work, one was a signal to the heater to tell it when to switch on, another was a dedicated fuse box only made active when on cheap rate.

With the signal to the heater you could select boost during the day, and it could also be used to supply washing machines and the like.

Since my house had gas only know it existed can't help on how it was wired.

Br40hh
Labourer
Labourer

by Br40hh » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:02 pm

Thanks for your answers. I have got an electrician coming over. He said is a timer (the black wire), for the old dimplex radiator. The plug is working (tested) and I just used a connector block for the black wire. Anyway, I'm waiting for him to have a look.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:26 pm