ACL Hot water/central heating system - question about pump
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
BS34
Labourer
Labourer

ACL Hot water/central heating system - question about pump

by BS34 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:35 am

I have an ACL Lifestyle TwinZone System with an LWC1 wiring box. I moved into this house earlier this year, and noticed that as long as the hot water is on at the programmer box, the pump is running whether the boiler is on or not. Thus if I have the hot water on for an hour, the pump runs continuously for an hour. This seems wrong to me - can anyone confirm whether this is the correct behaviour or not, and if not, what is likely to be wrong?

Cheers!

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:44 pm

That's right, as the pump has to be running for the water to circulate and heat the tank/cylinder.

htg

BS34
Labourer
Labourer

by BS34 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:47 am

OK, but I would assume that if the boiler wasn't going then the water in the tank/cylinder was at the correct temperature according to the tank/cylinder thermostat, and it certainly should be if it has been on for half an hour. Why does it need to continue running the pump in this case? Shouldn't it shut down until the thermostat detects that the temperature has dropped too far, in which case it starts up again and pumps the water to the boiler? Only the hot water going off at the timer seems to stop the pump.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:48 pm

It's probably the boiler stat that is cutting the boiler off, as the water in the boiler/flow and return will be hot, the water needs to continue circulating until the heat is transferred to the water in the cylinder.

Try turning the cylinder stat down, there'll more than likely be a pump over-run so it wont shut off immediately. Could be a faulty stat.

htg

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:46 pm