Actuator problems...please help!
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Nikster123
Labourer
Labourer

Actuator problems...please help!

by Nikster123 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:44 pm

Dear experts,

We had a new British Gas mid-position actuator (BGMVSP-23) fitted over the Summer and it has been working perfectly, switching between central heating and hot water as necessary.

However, just before Christmas, it stopped working and the valve could only be adjusted by manually shifting the lever on the side of the actuator. The next morning I was going to contact the British Gas contractor who fitted it but then noticed that it had begun working again.

The actuator worked perfectly again until this evening when the same thing happened. I have removed the actuator and have manually turned the valve so that at least we will have hot water and heating tomorrow (I have an 11 month old baby so can't really be without either).

Could anyone suggest what could be wrong? I did try to contact the contractor this evening but he's on holiday. Could the motor be going after only 5 months? Could there be a fuse that needs replacing and how would I go about doing this? Any thoughts would be gratefully received. I really don't want to have to pay for another engineer to come out :(

Many thanks[/img]

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:44 am

Of course even new parts can be faulty it's just the likelihood that alters.

Personally, I wouldn't automatically point a finger at the actuator now. The fact a fault has returned suggests the possibility of a misdiagnosis in the first place. Even if it was faulty, it may be something else now.

If you can get to a point when the heating is supposed to be on but isn't ask someone to listen to the valve whilst you tap and waggle the timer and thermostat.

plastic_man77
Ganger
Ganger

by plastic_man77 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:29 pm

Hi Nikster123

I'm going to take a lucky guess at this one.

Was your hot water working ok when the actuator was fitted?

Do you have a room thermostat?

If the answers to the above questions are, yes, then I'm guessing that your room stat is not set high enough or it is in a room with a secondary heat source like a fire- and you may have been using this to boost the temp of the room in an afternoon/evening???

I'm guessing this because you said it worked first thing in the morning- when the ambient temp of your rooms will be cooler, thus, the stat may have been "calling for heat."

If you don't have a room stat and you're certain your time clock is set correctly, then I doubt it will be a straight forward prob for a DIYer to sort. So carry on as you are (with the actuator head removed), until the contractor can get to you.

RJR

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1