All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

1 post   •   Page 1 of 1
Low Lead
Labourer
Labourer

Adapting Fortic Combi Cylinder to Loft Feed

Post by Low Lead » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:39 pm

Hi everyone,
I have a Fortic type direct combination cylinder with 40 litre supply tank which is for domestic hot water heated by immersion. This delivers a slow low pressure to the taps in a single storey flat. I know I shouldn't, but I am running a Salamander CT Force 20 PS to enable us to use the shower. We are a family of four and we all know that nobody touches another hot tap while the shower is running. I have fitted a 22mm inlet to the supply tank which keeps up with the flow demand, but because of the high mains pressure to the float valve, it's a screamer!...Nuff said, now to the topic! Looking inside the supply tank, the feed to the boiler is a 22mm copper tube sticking up about 5cm from the bottom. Now, up in the loft directly above the Fortic is a redundant 300 litre tank with mains water piping which has all been isolated. The previous owner, being the sole occupant, had decided to go with the Fortic because of frost and subsequent flooding of the earlier system. If you're still with me after this longish scene setting; My question...Is it possible to connect the loft tank outlet to the 22mm inlet supply pipe of the Fortic. Obviously its 40 litre supply tank would be an empty cauldron. Mains water having gone aloft so to speak. The overflow and venting of the Fortic would remain, plus there would be another vent and overflow in the loft. Any thoughts gents, please put me wise.

1 post   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:37 pm