Add a 1-way switch using the existing power from a 2-way switch
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
wizzkidd
Labourer
Labourer

Add a 1-way switch using the existing power from a 2-way switch

Post by wizzkidd » Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:00 am

Hey all,

I have an existing ceiling light that is connected to an existing 2-way switch.

I'd like to add another independent light with a new normal 1-way switch which will be placed next to the existing switch.

I believe I simply need to share the power source and connect it as a 1-way switch to the new light (which i've seen many examples of). My only concern is the existing wiring has me a little confused, and I cannot identify which are the power source wires and which wires need to go where in order to get the new switch functional with the new light.

I have taken some pictures and hope that someone can help me out?

Attached is an image of the existing switch where you can see the colours and locations of the wires. I have put in a diagram of a unwired 1-way switch besides it to help with the explanation. Would anyone here be kind enough to show/tell me which wires (colours) are needed to in order to connect the new switch for a new light (using the existing power source)?

Thanks in advance.

switches_together.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Add a 1-way switch using the existing power from a 2-way switch

Post by Mr White » Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:10 pm

Your assumption is wrong.
What you have is a typical two-way switch and it's wiring.
(Not counting earth) The two red wires at the bottom of the switch are live and switched live, the blue, yellow and red are what is known as "Strappers" they connect directly to the other two-way switch.

There is no "power source" as you put it. (As that is not how 2 way switching works)

I suggest you get an electrician in to carry out the job you require safely, as your lack of knowledge means you have no understanding and you may unknowingly cause a fire or worse still kill someone. This is nothing personal since I do not know you.

wizzkidd
Labourer
Labourer

Post by wizzkidd » Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:02 pm

Thank you for responding to my post so promptly, and also thank you for politely putting me in my place without having the need to be rude.

I think I will have to take your advice and call in a pro, although I was hoping to avoid this to reduce costs because in my mind this is likely to be a very simple job for a pro and I wouldn't want to be charged £50 for a 5 minute job.

But I guess sometimes you just got to put your hand in your pocket. :(

chriscba
Ganger
Ganger

Post by chriscba » Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:32 pm

You need to take power from a light fitting/lighting circuit
The switch has no neutral.
A new cable needs to come from a live & neutral in a light fitting to the new light fitting, then down the wall(channel out the wall or fit trunking) to the switch

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:19 am