Adding a light switch and 2 flourescent lights in my loft?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
cbo1170
Labourer
Labourer

Adding a light switch and 2 flourescent lights in my loft?

by cbo1170 » Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:53 pm

I really need help with this one!!

I've tried to add a new light switch and two flourescent lights in my loft. So far I've found the main wires in the loft that run between the existing light fittings. I've tapped into it via a junction box, and then from the junction box I've taken a spur to a light switch, and then on to the lights.

As soon as I switched the power back on the fuse tripped.

I've scoured the internet trying to find the correct way of doing this, but have found nothing so far that is close to what I'm trying to do.

Can anyone help this noob?

CBO 1170

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: Adding a light switch and 2 flourescent lights in my lof

by BLAKEY1963 » Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:54 pm

[quote="cbo1170"]I really need help with this one!!

I've tried to add a new light switch and two flourescent lights in my loft. So far I've found the main wires in the loft that run between the existing light fittings. I've tapped into it via a junction box, and then from the junction box I've taken a spur to a light switch, and then on to the lights.

As soon as I switched the power back on the fuse tripped.

I've scoured the internet trying to find the correct way of doing this, but have found nothing so far that is close to what I'm trying to do.

Can anyone help this noob?

CBO 1170[/quote]

CB0 1170
LOOK AT DOC S PROJECT SECTION , UNDER LIGHTING
CIRCUITS, SWITCHES ECT.
THERE R DIAGRAMS THERE 2 HELP U

BLAKEY1963

cbo1170
Labourer
Labourer

by cbo1170 » Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:05 pm

Thanks for the advice Blakey, but I already tried that and didn't find what I need.

Basically, I'm not sure why the fuse keeps tripping. I think I wired it all up OK, but could do with someone pointing out what I've done wrong if I didn't. The wires from the junction box go straight to the light switch and then on to the flourescent lights. Do the wires need to come back to the mains at any stage, or can they end at the last light?

I wired it up, Mains > Jct Box > Switch > Light > Light

Or does it need to be, Mains > Jct Box > Switch > Light > Light > Jct Box?

That's the kind of thing I need to know, and an idiots step by step guide would be very useful.

Thanks

CBO1170

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:12 pm

Hi,CBO
cabling seems OK, connections suspect at sw.!
cable in- Live to sw. Com. cable to light Live to L1.
Both neutrals connect to each other in a spare choc-blok in sw. box NOT Connected to sw. as do earths,
If you have put L-L & N-N in sw. then on sw.-on you create a 'dead-short' across sw. contacts which may have welded together if done too often!
If after connecting as suggested & circuit trips again try replacing the sw.
regards,
SPARX

cbo1170
Labourer
Labourer

by cbo1170 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:53 am

Sparx,

Thanks for that. Changed the wiring in the light switch as suggested, and the lights now work fine!

Many thanks for your help

CBO1170

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:07 am