Adding a Spur to Existing Socket on Opposing Side of Wall
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Merlin2020
Labourer
Labourer

Adding a Spur to Existing Socket on Opposing Side of Wall

by Merlin2020 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:22 am

Hi,

I'm looking to drill through a wall directly behind a surface mounted socket in order to add another one as a spur on the other side of the wall.

I've read up a bit on a few things including the article on this site about adding a socket spur but wanted to check to make sure its possible / done safely. The socket is 1st floor with no spur at the moment.

Do I need to check anything regarding the consumer unit / breaker board?

As long as there are two cables (one in, one out) will it be obvious / possible to drill through the wall behind the socket without hitting any wires?

Should I insulate the cable running through the wall?

Any advice on the correct way to go about it would be greatly appreciated

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Adding a Spur to Existing Socket on Opposing Side of Wall

by ericmark » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:56 pm

If to date everything has been done correctly, then yes simply drill through wall and fit socket the other side, either as a spur, fused spur or part of the ring.

Look at LAP grid switches well really the sockets which they do, these simply click into place on a plate which will replace a two gang socket, so you have many options, two sockets were the ring final is instead of a double socket will allow you to split ring and make socket other side part of ring, it will also allow fuse holders and switches to be included if you want.

However the big issue with any electrical work is testing and inspecting, and even with two cables you need to test to see if actually a ring final, it could be a radial using 4mm rather than 2.5mm cable with 32A MCB, it could be a radial or fused spur with a 20A, 16A, or 13A fuse or MCB.

I have actually seen where an electrician made a mistake and thought a 4mm radial was a ring final and used as a result the wrong cable to extend it.

And of course all new sockets need RCD protection, if there is no RCD in the consumer unit or fuse box, it makes adding extra sockets rather hard.

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

by Mr White » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:03 pm

Your question sounds like an easy one to answer but alas it is not as simple as you would think.
For a start how thick is the wall, since it may not be thick enough to get a fixing the other side since there is a flush socket this side.
You would be better off switching the mains off, removing the socket and its back box and seeing where both cables actually go, then you will know more than you do now.
Yes, there are rules where cables should be run but who knows if they were adhered to, hence the need to investigate.

Merlin2020
Labourer
Labourer

by Merlin2020 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:30 pm

Thank you for the replies, I have managed to find out a little more about the socket. The physical mounting of a socket should be fine, the existing socket has a patress box which I want to mirror the other side.

I was sold some cable in B&Q which I now think might be too thin comparing to the wires existing in the socket... will add photos. The cables go straight down towards the floor so drilling a hole should be fine.

I’ve added a photo of the breaker unit, can much be determined about adding a socket by just a photo of the unit?

The LAP grid units sound great as I actually want to mount a patress box and instead of having a socket and plugs (it’s too tight for space with furniture) just have a fuse and flex outlet for an extension lead.

Hope this all makes sense, apologies if I’m using wrong terminology!

Many Thanks

Merlin2020
Labourer
Labourer

by Merlin2020 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:57 pm

IMG_8270.JPG

Breaker Unit

IMG_8276.JPG

Existing Socket & Wires

lrgk370whi.jpg
lrgk370whi.jpg (4.56 KiB) Viewed 14262 times

New Spur I would like on other side of the wall

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

by Mr White » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:22 pm

The Fused connection unit you wish to add, you said "....for an extension lead" what exactly are you wanting to add?

Merlin2020
Labourer
Labourer

by Merlin2020 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:39 pm

A 6 gang socket extension lead if possible...

If I add a patress box to the wall by the time its got a socket plate and plugs in it It will stick out too far and won't be accessible anyway as I need to put furniture in front of it.

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:10 pm