Adding lamps/spots to existing circuit
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Matteo
Apprentice
Apprentice

Adding lamps/spots to existing circuit

by Matteo » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:04 pm

After some excellent advice a while back on newly plastered walls, I'm hoping someone here can help with another question.

We're in the process of settling in to our newly built house. This entails (along with many other things!) installing ceiling lamps.

Between our bedroom and en-suite shower room we have a "dressing room" (3.6m x 2m). The right-hand wall dividing the two rooms is 80cm, the left-hand wall 2m (i.e there's an 80cm gap between the two, opposite of which is the door to the en-suite).

Just right of centre in the ceiling is the light point (at this moment just wires) controlled by the switch on the wall to the right of the en-suite.

I'm about to install some built-in wardrobes on either side of the room but we have realised that unless we get a fairly powerful spot light arrangement, the lighting for the wardrobes (especially on the right) will be too low.

Here's the question...I'm wondering whether it will be possible to "branch off" the wires for the ceiling light and run this to two sets of spots above either wardrobe?

The ceiling is concrete and in the attic the cables for the ceiling light and switch are easily accessible.

I can see that it would be relatively simple to use a junction box to branch off from the light cable in the attic, drill through to the wardrobes and connect some spots but wonder if this is safe/will work.

Additionally, it would be nice to be able to control either set of extra lights independently. With the above arrangement, I can see that using the existing wall switch, all three sets of lights would come on (I'd also install a regular ceiling light at the existing point). Would it be possible to put a switch in (on the wardrobe(s)) to prevent this?

Many thanks,

Matteo

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:55 am

There are wireless switches made by MK also micro switches can be used connected to wardrobe door. Main thing is heat and LED or cold cathode lighting may be order of the day. For amount of time a light in a wardrobe is used maybe the battery operated LED lamps would fit the bill better? These have automatic time limit so can't over heat. (Batteries go flat)

Matteo
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Matteo » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:36 pm

Battery operated??

That sounds like the solution.

I've searched a bit and found something by Phillips called "SpotOn" which have a motion detector. According to the reviews on Amazon they're very bright and switch off automatically...and also are NOT very bright and do NOT switch off automatically... :?

Thanks for the idea. I'll look into this some more.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:24 pm