Adding new socket to existing radial in flat
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Billybellfoot
Labourer
Labourer

Adding new socket to existing radial in flat

by Billybellfoot » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:07 am

Hi as above looking to add new socket to existing radial i live in a maisonette flat the downstairsmis just a porch landing with a heater 13a and a cupboard that houses consumer unit this is the location i wish to add the new socket. My intention was to add the new socket in that cupboard adding to the existing radial that supplys the heater and re label fuse lobby heater/cupboard socket/s

Ill provide a diagram for ref

Thanks
Attachments
20161208_140512-1.jpg

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Adding new socket to existing radial in flat

by ericmark » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:51 am

Radials are not that common, so first you need to check if it is really a radial and what size wire is used MK sockets will often take 3 x 4mm but other makes struggle with 2 x 4mm so you may be limited by the physical aspect rather than the regulations.

So question one, what size is the fuse, MCB or RCBO supplying the radial, if 20A then no real problems, but if 32A then you need 4 or 6 mm sq cable not 2.5mm sq.
Question two is the circuit RCD protected, if it is no problem, if not all NEW buried cable (less than 50mm deep) and new sockets need RCD protection or use special Alitube cable.

Are you sure it's not a ring final?

Billybellfoot
Labourer
Labourer

by Billybellfoot » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:09 pm

Hi thanks for response

The fuse box picture i included in post shows lobby heater as 20a fuse i believe (proteus b20) as for radial or no socket for heater has single set if wires. ( I recently isolated and changed faceplate from fused faceplate to socket faceplate and added plug and timer so as my dad could have heater on in economy 7 hrs. ) so am pretty certain its a radial. I think the pic also shows lobby heater on a rcd (there are 2 rcd switches).

As i say when i recently changed faceplate i isolated the lobby heater checked for dead with a screwdriver tester and changed faceplate i "assumed" same principle but cut hole fit patress box as in fig 1 on my diagram and wire into that radial that supplys the heater

Thanks again for advice info etc much appreciated

Billybellfoot
Labourer
Labourer

by Billybellfoot » Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:05 am

Hi thanks for response

The fuse box picture i included in post shows lobby heater as 20a fuse i believe (proteus b20) as for radial or no socket for heater has single set if wires. ( I recently isolated and changed faceplate from fused faceplate to socket faceplate and added plug and timer so as my dad could have heater on in economy 7 hrs. ) so am pretty certain its a radial. I think the pic also shows lobby heater on a rcd (there are 2 rcd switches).

As i say when i recently changed faceplate i isolated the lobby heater checked for dead with a screwdriver tester and changed faceplate i "assumed" same principle but cut hole fit patress box as in fig 1 on my diagram and wire into that radial that supplys the heater

Thanks again for advice info etc much appreciated

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:22 pm