Advent all in one computer
Help and advice on software, hardware, configuration and general computing issues and problems

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
marysue52uk
Labourer
Labourer

Advent all in one computer

by marysue52uk » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:01 am

I payed quite a lot of money for an all in one Advent computer last year
and now for some reason it has gone wrong. Does anyone know how it can be fixed as i have been told the coputer has the hard drve built in and it wont work off a disc. Does that mean it is now worthless or does anyone knw how to fix it. please can anyone help me.

index
Labourer
Labourer

by index » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:10 pm

hi. I am sure that your computer will be easy to repair.
Computers are made up of different components, that can be swapped out if things have gone wrong - a bit like a car.

You have given limited information about the problem. If you can explain what has gone wrong then we maybe able to at least point you in the right direction.

[quote] i have been told the coputer has the hard drve built in and it wont work off a disc[/quote]

Sort of correct. The computer stores what it needs to work, ie windows and all other programs on the hard disk drive. If the computer wont boot up, there will most likely be a problem associated with the hard drive. This could be a software or hardware problem.

Regards,

Andy

nitro23456
Foreman
Foreman

by nitro23456 » Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:54 pm

I make computers. Please explain in detail what has gone wrong....

what happens when you try to turn it on? any error messages? blue screens? Does windows load yes/no/partially etc

What is the full spec?

xjs1200
Apprentice
Apprentice

by xjs1200 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:32 pm

Hi, when you switch the computer on, can you hear anything or can you see any lights on? if not it's more likely that the power cable is faulty, the fuse of the cable was burnt, the power supply is gone, or the switch is knackered. if the computer does work when you switch it on, then we need the last message on the screen. Thnaks

offender
Apprentice
Apprentice

by offender » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:42 pm

Yeah we really need more info on this before we can help diagnose the problem.

[quote]as i have been told the coputer has the hard drve built in and it wont work off a disc.[/quote]

Whoever told you this is not the most clued up person I must say. Hard drives do fail they are probably the most common component in a PC to fail I would say in my opinion. You havent been putting a large magnet near your pc have you :D

Replacing a hard drive is simple and should only cost you around £50 for a nice brand one around 250gb. I have seen a Seagate one for £47.

ericmark

by ericmark » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:07 pm

Computers have a little information built in which tells it how to boot. It can be set to boot from many storage mediums originally floppy but now CD and DVD and even a USB device can be used. Because of the different ways to format hard drives floppies although can boot the machine often will not allow access to the hard drive. Linux live discs are the best as they will allow access to most things on the hard drive and ignore windows passwords etc. These are available with Linux mags and not being a Linux lover I can't tell you which but I always keep a copy of Mepis to repair faults on my computers.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:50 pm