Advice Needed for Purchase of New Boiler Need to be Good Value for Money
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Nick Clancy
Labourer
Labourer

Advice Needed for Purchase of New Boiler Need to be Good Value for Money

by Nick Clancy » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:00 pm

Hi everyone, I need some advice if poss.
I need to replace my old boiler which has a header tank and jacketed tank etc etc. I want to replace with a combi but I could do with some advice as to which type to buy. We have a 3 bed semi with about 12 radiators.
I am on a budget so the Worcester Bosch is out of my price bracket really. Are there any boilers which are good value for money and around the £600 to £800 mark?

Thanks for your help
Nick

Atticus Finch
Tradesman
Tradesman

Re: Advice Needed for Purchase of New Boiler Need to be Good Value for Money

by Atticus Finch » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:40 pm

Do you mean combi (instant hot water, so no HW cylinder) or a condensing boiler? (It's a common confusion.) Incidentally, all new boilers have to be condensing.

If you are thinking of a combi boiler, you have to check that it would be suitable. This depends on the incoming cold water flow rate. You can check this by timing how long it takes to fill a 10 litre bucket, then work out the flow rate in litres/minute. 10 litres/min is the absolute minimum for a combi boiler. This is because all outlets in the house (hot and cold) are supplied from the one incoming pipe. So taking a shower and filling the washing machine at the same time will only be OK if you have a high incoming flow rate, e.g 20 litres/min.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1