DIY Doctor

Advice needed on pyramid hip roof construction

Postby ScobieT » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:23 pm

Hi all, looking for advice on building a pyramid hip roof. As the hip rafters will be at a lower angle than the common / king rafters then won't my roof be uneven? ie my hip rafters will be sloping at an angle of 17° whereas I calculate the other rafters to be around 21°? Thanks
ScobieT
Progress to next rank:
0%

Sponsor

Gorilla Glue heavy duty grab adhesive

Postby stoneyboy » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:41 pm

Hi scobiet
If you drop a vertical from a point where the hip rafter and jack rafters meet the horizontal distance to the wall plate will be different in each case unless your hip is at 45 deg.
Regards S
stoneyboy

Postby Msk » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:36 am

The hips are at a different pitch as they are falling from the ridge point in 2 planes where as the Rafters in only 1 plane, but as long as the Rafters are level with the top of the hip and land on the wall plate with the birdsmouth cut adjusted to level the Rafters to the hip, it will work and the roof should be ok.
Msk
Progress to next rank:
5.3%

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!