Advice Needed on Replacing Barrel Lock
Post your questions and get answers concerning many areas of this subject

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Paul-D
Labourer
Labourer

Advice Needed on Replacing Barrel Lock

by Paul-D » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:56 pm

Hi. I have moved to a flat that has an unusual lock. This is not the normal Yale lock that most people have on their front door. To lock the door you have to pull the handle upwards and turn the key. Also the key has to be used up side down. I think this is called a cylinder key or barrel key.

For security reasons I want to change this. I have looked on line and there are lots of criteria.

Size: 35/35 -35/40 to 50/55. What are these figures? are there different types like 3,4,5 or 6 barrels.

Need help here as I could do with buying on line.

collectors
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Advice Needed on Replacing Barrel Lock

by collectors » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:15 am

The numbers relate to how far the lock is in one side of the door to the other in millimeters to allow for different style doors. They are a nice quick change. Take of the door handles & put the key back in the lock. Now find a small grub screw on the locks barrel & remove it. You now have to turn the key about a 1/4 of a turn anti clockwise "i think" & pull. Do the same in reverse with your new barrel.
Oh! That number will be stamped on your old barrel & you have to get the same. Yale make some good strong locks in that style. You can get them on ebay at good prices. Also! when you change the barrel, have a look at the ones where you don't have to have a key to lock the door from the inside, you just have a knob you turn. Good idea in a fire situation not having to look for keys.

Paul-D
Labourer
Labourer

by Paul-D » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:03 am

The lock that was originally fitted seems too long for this door. I was told that it would be easy for a burglar to break. Have a look

http://desmond-otoole.co.uk/Lock.JPG

KitchenGuy
Ganger
Ganger

by KitchenGuy » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:20 am

It's not uncommon to see this and you may not be able to get an exact fit yourself, if I was a burglar there are easier ways to get in through a door than t through breaking the lock but if it sticks out too much in theory it is easier to break it. Just measure from the centre of the door to either side of the lock, eg 50/60mm and buy the nearest you can and follow the above post. It's an easy fix.

collectors
Foreman
Foreman

by collectors » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:30 am

Must admit that it is sticking out twice the distance my ones are. Best bet would be to remove the lock barrel & pop dont to a lockal lock shop & ask if a shorter one would be ok. But, remember a burglar would have to have a key to remove the lock any way, so i wouldn't worry.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:42 am