Advice on Exterior Cracks in Render and Brick Wall
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

lazybones
Labourer
Labourer

Advice on Exterior Cracks in Render and Brick Wall

by lazybones » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:45 am

There are multiple cracks running across an exterior wall on my property. I have chipped the cracked render away with a cold chisel. Unfortunately, the vertical cracks are a concern. Underneath the render, there are clear cracks in the brick work. Whilst I could re-render these areas to make them look good short-term, my concern is that the cracks will reappear, unless I repair the brick work (I have rendered walls before). As far as I can tell there is no movement. The area is an extension (it was a veranda, now a bedroom - I paid a contractor to do this work - who is now long gone). The vertical cracks are where the extension meets the old veranda vertical support. I'm interested in other views on this? What's the best course of action? Underneath most of the horizontal cracks and bubbled paintwork, there is solid brick wall. To me this looks like a straightforward repair (with a white lime render).

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:17 am