Advice on removing old external door & window frames(Ple
Re-generate an old or tired space and give it a fresh breath of life. Click here for answers, information and tips

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mattyg
Labourer
Labourer

Advice on removing old external door & window frames(Ple

by mattyg » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:56 am

I have recently move in to my new house and there is a extension on the ground floor at the rear of the house. My kitchen has an old external door and to windows which used to lead into the garden but now lead into the dining room. Eventually I want to turn it into a big kitchen diner but for now I would like to remove the door and windows including frames.
Would this be safe as I am not to sure if they would be load bearing I assume that there is a Concrete plinth or a RSJ. Is there any way I can check this without making a big hole in the kitchen wall.
Any help would be appreciated.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:04 pm

mattyg,
If your house was originally built in the 50/60s or before there is a fair chance that the window and door frames hold up the outer skin brickwork above them.
I would suggest you get a surveyor in to have a look - they should be able to tell you what needs doing for the safe removal of the frames.
end

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:27 am

If you type the key words of your question into our search box to the left of the site you may find the answer is already posted or is in the DIY projects section of the website. Every post goes through a monitoring process and using the search box may speed up your answer.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:48 am