DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Advice re. material for shed roof

Postby Berkovius » Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:16 pm

My first post & not familiar with timber nor building DIY.

Have base & timber upstands ready for new timber shed. Looking at a rectangular flat roof with a slight angle. What material is advised for roof boards please?

I read somewhere that 11 mm OSB could possibly be used. Or does it sound too thin? Roof will be approx 2.5 m by 5 m.

What to go over (felt or some bitumen roof sheets)? Thanks.
Berkovius
Progress to next rank:
25%

Postby stoneyboy » Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:55 pm

Hi berkovius,
Standard size for sheets of ply/osb is 1.2x2.4m so you will have to find a way of extending the boards to fit 2.5m.
If you use OSB you will have to select the correct grade e.g. exterior grade. 11mm is probably too thin, so use 18mm but you will need joists to support the board edges.
25 year felt will probably be the best covering.
Regards S
stoneyboy

Postby Berkovius » Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:16 pm

Thanks Stoneyboy, my kids are fed up of me not getting the shed built, has been an eyesore for ages now. Got the confidence to start it properly now.

I'll go for the 18 mm OSB then, sounds like a safe bet. And 'exterior grade'. Cheers for also recommending the 25 year felt.

To avoid wasting money on expensive timber panels for the outside walls, what kind of panels (& width) would be suitable for a shed / store, doesn't need to look fabuous.
Berkovius
Progress to next rank:
25%

Postby stoneyboy » Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:14 pm

Hi berkovius,
Use the cheapest sheet material you can buy - probably 9mm osb. You may need extra bracing and the weathered face must be painted with some form of paint/varnish.
Look out for multibuy offers which can help with savings.
Regards S
stoneyboy

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!