Advice Wanted! To protect or not to protect re washing machine
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
plot64
Labourer
Labourer

Advice Wanted! To protect or not to protect re washing machine

by plot64 » Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:17 pm

Hi all,

( photos here: https://imgur.com/a/w2wYZmo )

I’ve got this really small utility room I’m building a diy riser in, to raise the washing machine up a little. The room has recently been carpeted and I’ve read online about being careful or cautious in case of any possible unforeseen leaks from the machine.

The carpet is underlaid and all glued down on to concrete floor and I’m wondering if I should put something over the carpet before laying down my wooden frame (riser) on top and fastening it to the brick walls? ….to protect the carpet from said leakage.

Would you do anything to protect here?
And if so, with what material? (Plastic dust sheet perhaps?)

The room is very cold, has no heating and I’m worried if I put a plastic layer over the top (or anything not breathable) it may accelerate or lead to carpet rot and mould that’s going to not be seen under & behind the riser. So questions, 1/ would you put anything down to protect the carpet under the riser frame? ..or 2/ would you put anything on top of the riser to protect and shield ‘it’ from any possible water/leaks that may reach it from the washer (or both?)

Linked photos show the room (ignore blue underlay in one shot), the silver carpet and wooden riser frame (mid-build). Seeking clarification re protections before I fasten it to the wall and finish it off. The top surface of the riser will be particle or ply board, painted with Dulux satinwood.

Sorry if I’ve not explained that particularly well. Any questions I’ll be happy to clarify of course. Thanks in advance for your advice

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Advice Wanted! To protect or not to protect re washing machine

by stoneyboy » Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:03 pm

Hi plot64,
Suggest you put the washing machine in a drip tray on top of your framework.
Regards S

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 6:01 am