After Stripping Wall paper
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Billy Nomates
Apprentice
Apprentice

After Stripping Wall paper

by Billy Nomates » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:46 pm

I have just stripped woodchip paper off the walls.
It has left some residue paper behind.
Whats the best way to remove this
Should I use sugar soap and a sponge or some
kind of hard brush.

:roll:

theshedman
Foreman
Foreman

by theshedman » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:36 am

Hi Billy Nomates, just wet it and scape it off. Put a little bit of washing up liquid in the water. Then if it's still a bit messy after that wash the walls down. Are you painting the walls afterwards or wallpapering again?

Billy Nomates
Apprentice
Apprentice

Stripping Walls

by Billy Nomates » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:52 am

Hi Thank you for helping me out. As you probally guess by my User name
I don't have many people I can ask and its embarrassing as I should already know these things.

I have done as suggested and washed all the walls down with soap and water and have now removed all the residue left.

The walls do have a number of scuff marks (not from my Scraper ) already there.
I want to emulsion the wall and not replace paper.
If I lightly sand them then use some kind of \flash liquid with water and thoughly wash the walls. Whats the best thing to use to cover some of the scuff marks or will a couple coats of Emulsion paint do the trick.
If I use some kind of filler to cover the larger marks like for example the drilled holes should I use a flexible filler thats now available or should I use a Polly filler powder .
Any suggestions will be gratefullt recieved. As you can guess this is totally new to me.

theshedman
Foreman
Foreman

by theshedman » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:45 pm

Hi, I would make sure all the paste is off the walls first then use polyfiller to fill all the marks and drilled holes. The flexible filler is not really any good for this type of thing, but it is good for going around the skirting boards and the edge of the ceiling and around the doorways. After this give them all a light rub down to get them flat before giving them a couple of coats of emulsion. You will need to thin the first coat of emulsion as the walls will probably be porous after all the work you have done on them. If the walls are not nice and flat I would not use a vinyl silk finsh as it will show up everything. A matt finish will hide more than a silk one. Good luck with it.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:30 pm