Air In Central Heating System
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Exdaddy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Air In Central Heating System

Post by Exdaddy » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:59 pm

Hi,

I have posted similar a couple of weeks ago. I had major problems in trying to remove air from the central heating. I have to have the pump at level 3 to reduce the noise (banging) of air in the system. I got a plumber in, who drained down the system a couple of times before it was reasonable. Less air in the sytem, but still banging in the pipes when I reduce the pump speed to 2, so not solved completely.

The plumber blew into the vent pipe to try and finally remove the air . Can someone tell me what this actually does? I can see that it might move an air lock, but will it also push further air into the sytem?

Thanks very much.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by rosebery » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:44 pm

If the pipework layout is causing airlocks when filling from the F&E tank try filling the system from the other way ie bottom up. Drain system again, ensure all bleed valves on rads are closed, put your hosepipe on the drain valve (secure it with jubilee clip), open up your mains supply and let it go. Its advisable to have two people for this job. One in the roof to monitor the arrival of water in the F&E tank to know when to shut supply off and the other to stick by the hose to drain valve connection in case they part company during the process. Once you have the pipework filled you can open up the bleed valves one by one and let water back into your rads.

Don't forget the inhibitor!

Cheers

Exdaddy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Air in System

Post by Exdaddy » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:37 pm

Hi there,

thanks for your reply. Does it matter what order you fill the radiators in (upstairs first or downstairs rads) ?

Thanks

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1