Hi hope someone can help as im pretty clueless I live in a 1920 pit house. The chimney is blocked off apart from a cooker hood in the chimney breast in the kitchen. A while back I notice A damp patch about the hood when we had heavy rain. Had a chap in for a quote and the chimney needs rendering and was letting in water. Unfortunately due to furlough that’s not a Job I can afford to do right now. I know rain coming down the chimney can cause damp and that’s my next worry. In one of the upstairs bedrooms is a plastic vent in the chimney breast. I’m not sure if this is a false wall as it sounds hollow compared to the other side Of the breast. The vent is quite high up from the floor so is inline and next to the bed in there. Nowdo I cover the vent up if possible? My worry is that if mold is growing in the chimney the spores Will go in the room and make my son sick. If I cover it up what’s the best thing to use?
Hi joe104 Chances are that the chimney has been used in the past for coal fires so the flue will be lined with a nice coating of tar/soot. It’s unlikely that spores will survive and it’s better to keep the flue ventilated, so keep it open. Regards S
DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!