Airbrick cowls/covers question
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Chrys
Labourer
Labourer

by Chrys » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:29 pm

Hi, I'm new to the forum and have a very basic question.

I've just had a new solid fuel Rayburn installed in my kitchen, and due to regulations have had three air bricks put in. Two of these are on an internal wall leading into the conservatory. The third is on the conservatory external wall. The internal air bricks have got white plastic grilles fitted on the kitchen side, and large plastic cowls on the conservatory side of the wall. My question is this: are those cowl covers necessary in any way on an internal wall? I know they are designed to reduce draught and air noise from [i]outside[/i] (we have one on the outside airbrick too), but do they serve any additional function? I would prefer to replace the inside ones with something that lies flush with the wall. At present, they stick out too far into the room and are proving to be a major annoyance, not to mention a big eyesore. I know the ventilation is essential, but won't a flush grille cover be as effective?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Perry525 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:14 pm

The situation you describe is unsatisfactory as the fire is burning air that you have paid to heat (a waste of money) and the fire will struggle in dragging fresh across two rooms creating an unnecessary draft.
You need to look at providing a direct air supply to the back of or underneath the unit via a pipe. Burn cold air not air you have paid to heat. Then think about ventilation!

Chrys
Labourer
Labourer

by Chrys » Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:32 pm

Thanks for your reply. This new Rayburn is a replacement for a worn-out, similar one. Although the new one is very efficient at heating - we have genuinely hot radiators and water now - there is a marked drop in temperature in the kitchen. This is unfortunate, because it's the heart of the home and was always a very warm and cosy place to sit. Now it feels chilly and draughty because of these air bricks. One of the problems is that we live in a middle terraced cottage and the Rayburn is not against an external wall. It would be tricky to get an air supply to it easily - so I guess the fitters chose the easier option.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1