Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
siyoung72
Labourer
Labourer

Airlock problems after installing new kitchen sink

by siyoung72 » Sat May 23, 2015 12:45 am

Hi there,

I've just installed a new sink into my kitchen and since then have been facing air-lock problems with both hot and cold taps. We live in an unusual four storey townhouse, with a kitchen on the second floor. Hot water is from an electric hot water tank on the first floor, fed from the cold water cistern in the loft. No central heating (all electric)

Obviously I drained the entire system to change the sink, and when refilling, left all taps slightly open, hopefully to avoid air-locks.

Initially there was an airlock to both hot and cold water taps in both bathrooms on the ground and first floor, and to the hot water tap in the kitchen. The taps in the first floor bathroom and to the sink in the ground floor en suite appear to have sorted themselves out, but the cold water feed to the en suite toilet and shower (on a thermostatic valve), are virtually dead (drips out so cistern fills very slowly and shower is no scorching hot with virtually no cold).

The (second floor) kitchen cold tap seems to be direct of the mains and works fine, while the hot tap is running, but slower than it should.

I've seen solutions suggesting connecting working taps to non-working taps with hosepipe, though not sure how this would work for the shower and loo (take the shower head off and attach here?? Would this unblock the loo feed?). Wondering why the en suite sink tap works and not the shower/loo... Also wondering how to improve the flow of hot in the kitchen, as it's a monobloc tap, so I can't connect the cold to the hot...

Any ideas gratefully received.

Thanks

Simon

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Airlock problems after installing new kitchen sink

by stoneyboy » Mon May 25, 2015 8:03 pm

Hi siyoung72,
Suggest you get hold of a wet/dry vacuum cleaner and suck each problem tap in turn with the tap fully on.
end

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:55 am