Annoying central heating system
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
emconuk
Labourer
Labourer

Annoying central heating system

by emconuk » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:47 pm

Hello

I am experiencing some issues with my central heating. Here are the details :

Worcester (Bosch Group) 28CDi Combi boiler.
5 radiators downstairs. All with TRV except one
4 radiators upstairs. All with TRV
2 towel warmers upstairs (installed July 2008)

I have a British Gas central heating, electrical and pipe care plan.
The boiler is serviced every year by British Gas and was last done in October 2008.

I was surprised when I bought this house that there was no central thermostat but after reading the boiler manual
I see that a complete TRV system (leaving one radiator without a TRV) is a recognised configuration.

I have bled all of the radiators in the last week in the hope that it may resolve the following issues :

1) The pipes are creaking and go through stages of about 10 minutes
where they 'bang'. The banging can range from once every 2 seconds
upto a tapping pace

2) Some of the radiators do not come on when others in the house do.
Their TRVs are all set on the same setting.

3) Some of the radiators only heat up at the top.

If I adjust the boilers front panel then things get worse. At this time I have the central heating setting on the lowest (non-summer) setting. Anything higher and the pipes go apeshit.

The house is 10 years old and the quality of the plumbing and electrics are certainly questionable. Every winter for the last 3 years the central heating system has persistently had the above 3 issues.

Any pointers or advise on where I go next would be appreciated. I do have the option of calling British Gas out but I want to try a few things myself first. Nothing is broken as such so I am not sure how helpful that could be.

thanks, Martyn

Steve the gas
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Steve the gas » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:11 am

Hi Martin,

Could be sludged up- circulation problem.

Flush the system several times and see what result you get?

Hth

emconuk
Labourer
Labourer

by emconuk » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:40 pm

thanks for the suggestion Steve. Is that something I can do myself fairly easily ? I assume there are online guides etc, or am I best off asking British Gas to do it ?

thanks, Martyn

swidders
Ganger
Ganger

by swidders » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:38 pm

you can buy chemicals to add to the system and let it run for a while before empying/flushing fresh water through.

most plumbers merchants/ diy stores sell this, and instructions are included (£15 to £30 depending on manufacturer)

Steve the gas
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Steve the gas » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:17 am

If you get BG it's mucho money iirc £500 +.

From your tone I would get a tame Plumber/ RGI by word of mouth.

Hth

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:27 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1