Any tips for complete novice plasterer
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Joiner_Mike
Ganger
Ganger

Any tips for complete novice plasterer

by Joiner_Mike » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:30 pm

Hi all :D
Was hoping for some good advise off all you plastering experts. I am a joiner and recently had a go at plastering a wall, which was pretty good. even shocked myself. But was wondering if you girls/guys could give me more help to make me better. The steps i did was as follows:-
sorry don't know tech terms used
1.) put on first cost from top left to bottom right
2.) Run over with dry trowel
3.) Put on 2nd slightly thinner coat
4.) Run over with dry trowel
5.) Run over with slightly wet brushed trowel.
I had 2 problems that i noticed. First was I didn't seem to get chance for a brew lol cos I am a bit slow putting coats on at the moment and second was when i was spreading coats on I found it hard to spread near even on first arch movement. What angle should i have the trowel. I had edge about 10mm from the wall but had to go over several times to get it even. Should I start with 10mm from wall then go flatter as less plaster is on trowel when i do my arch movements?
Do plasterboards need pva on before skimming? If so what part water/pva?
Are my steps correct?
Would love to continue practising with your good advise
Any help and advise would be highly appreciated.

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:11 pm

see the diy projects section for lots of help with plastering. www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:09 am

See our DIY Projects section https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm where you will find a long project on plastering (general) and an excellent project on skim plastering which includes photographs. Having read these you will become and expert overnight but if not you will be able to go on a plastering course through the project sponsors!

Joiner_Mike
Ganger
Ganger

by Joiner_Mike » Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:05 am

Cheers, looked at them...great amount of info. Thank you again

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:00 pm