Anyone Know What this type of Socket is?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
damien_cleveland
Labourer
Labourer

Anyone Know What this type of Socket is?

by damien_cleveland » Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:27 pm

socket smaller.jpg

I have recently moved into a new home and found this socket hidden in a cupboard. It connects to a switch with a small red light on the outside of the cupboard.

(I asked the former owner, they never had it on, and didn't seem to make any difference)

Guesses will do, I have never seen one like it.

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Anyone Know What this type of Socket is?

by Mr White » Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:39 am

It's not a socket, that's why you can't find a similar one.
It is actually called a "Fused connection unit, with flex outlet"
The one you see is from around the 70s (Guess) and is made by MK

MK still make FCU's, but the design has been upgraded.
You don't often see them with the flex outlet (The hole in the front) very often, usually it is a knockout at the front edge. It may have been for a loft light, with the red light you mention indicating the light in the loft is on, but they do have a variety of uses. e.g. connecting a burglar alarm to the mains (This unit will have no switch or flex outlet) or other fixed appliance (Wall heater)

The idea of the FCU is, what ever you connect to the electricity supply must have a fuse, if you plug something in, the fuse will be in the plug, but anyone can easily pull a plug out, the FCU negates this problem as it is not a plug, but does have a fuse.

I suspect as it is that old it may just be redundant, either way, don't worry about it. (Or charge visitors £1 a guess as to what it does)

damien_cleveland
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Anyone Know What this type of Socket is?

by damien_cleveland » Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:53 pm

Perfect, I figured it was something like that. I am going to get it converted to a plug I think. I could handle a single to double or maybe adding a new one at a stretch but that I haven't seen so ill get my old man to do that, he's an eletrical engineer.

Thanks very much

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:37 pm