Are night storage heaters taboo ?
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
knight-gkla
Labourer
Labourer

Are night storage heaters taboo ?

Post by knight-gkla » Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:18 am

I'm moving to a bugalow which has night storage heaters for some years. I've always believed that they were an inefficient, uncontrollable cheap instalation, but the present occupiers say they are cheap to run and no problem ( they would). Obviously I'd judge them myself before doing anything, but do others have any experience before I budget for installing central heating.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:42 pm

I've never had or used storgae heaters, but i'd imagine they'd be quite expensive to run. I'd definately consider installing a gas central heating system. How is the hot water heated ?

DONFRAMAC
Ganger
Ganger

Post by DONFRAMAC » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:38 am

I know of 2 owner-occupiers in this housing estate, who have never moved house since the early '60s. They are benefitting from tariffs which are much cheaper than E7, etc. Only one has bothered using modern storage-radiators. The other continues to use old-style under-floor heating, so they cannot fit wall-to-wall carpeting.
You should ask your house-seller, who supplies their electricity, then contact that firm if you can continue on their tariff, after seeing the pence-per-unit figures on their latest bill.

knight-gkla
Labourer
Labourer

Post by knight-gkla » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:09 am

[quote="htg engineer"]How is the hot water heated ?[/quote]
It's a gas instant boiler so a combi replacement would be the thing.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1