Artex Smooth It
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
paul_is_found_here
Labourer
Labourer

Artex Smooth It

Post by paul_is_found_here » Fri May 29, 2009 6:49 pm

Hi everyone

New to the forum as i've just bought a house and will have to attempt some DIY.
All the walls in the house are covered in artex (not containing asbestos) and we're thinking of skimming it. I've read a lot on here about artex but not found anything about artex 'smooth it' which is supposed to be good at covering it up.
Has anyone ever used it?
I also looked at polycell smooth over but lots of reviewers say its rubbish.
I'm new to DIYing so need a product thats not too hard to use
Google "choiceful.com/disprod.php?pId=100063"

This is the link to a pdf about it google "artexltd.com/pdf/Smooth-It_Facts.pdf"

Many thanks

bd3cc
Foreman
Foreman

Post by bd3cc » Sat May 30, 2009 10:33 pm

Have never used this product, so cannot comment on it, but generally do not like pre-mixed products.
Personally would use a steamer to remove the artex. It is a long "gutty" job but worth it in the end, becauseyou can see your original walls.
Artex tended to be used either as a trendy finish or to cover a multidude of sins.
HTH

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by rosebery » Sun May 31, 2009 8:02 am

If "all" the walls are artexed and you plan to do the lot then I would suggest that DIY is probably not your best solution in time, cost or results terms.

Get a plasterer or three in to quote for skimming the lot.

Cheers

HeatherS
Labourer
Labourer

Smooth-it

Post by HeatherS » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:45 pm

I used this (or similar unbranded version) on a small section of wall (approx 1.5mx1.5m). It cost about £20 just for this, and still took quite a bit of time to do. I also ended up with quite a few air bubbles in the finished result, being only an amateur DIYer.
I would suggest this is a very expensive way of covering over artex, and probably cheaper to pay a plasterer to come and skim a room professionally instead.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:25 pm