Back boiler misery
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Rezarf
Labourer
Labourer

Back boiler misery

by Rezarf » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:25 pm

We have a back boiler with a god awful fire on it :( does anyone know please if the fire can be disconnected and the controls left on the bottom and be boxed in with access still to them or can a newer moderner fire place be put in its place???

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:43 pm

Back boilers have to be installed with the correct fire fitted, it is dangerous and against the law to use a back boiler without the fire in place or to box in a back boiler.

Can a replacement newer fire be used ? There are many different makes and models of back boiler out there. Some only have one fire that's compatible. Some have 2 or 3.

You'd have to give us the make and model of the boiler, if you're wanting anymore advice.

hope this helps

Rezarf
Labourer
Labourer

by Rezarf » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:21 pm

Thanks for that :o) not sure if i'm looking in the right place but coming out of the wall next to the boiler between 2 pipes is a red connection which says on it Groundfos selectric 988123, not sure thats it tho?? if not how can i find out because the boiler is obviously hidden behind the fireplace? i can tell you tho that the fire on it is a Glow-worm Capricorn 246N if that helps at all?? many thanks.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:25 pm

I have looked for replacement fires and can't find one anywhere, a few websites say parts for this appliance are no longer available.

You may find a fairly decent second hand one - apart from that you can put up with it, or go for a new boiler and fire.

If you do find a second hand fire get a CORGI registered engineer to check it over and fit it for you.

How old is the boiler ?
efficient ?
good working order ?

The grundfos selectric will be the pump.

Rezarf
Labourer
Labourer

by Rezarf » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:21 am

The house was built in the early 80's and as far as we know its the original boiler, everything works fine but we never use the fire its just an eye sore for the whole room and to be honest i don't trust it, i know you can get them serviced and checked out but it just looks like one of them fires if you know what i mean so i won't use it and whilst everything is working fine i don't see the point in spending 2 grand on a combi thats all, i had thought about building like a radiator cover for it with plenty of ventilation for it if i couldn't replace the fire???

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1