Back Boiler problem
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
umalatina
Labourer
Labourer

Back Boiler problem

Post by umalatina » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:32 pm

Hey ! I have a back boiler - the house has oil central heating. Recently, I had issues with one of the radiators which was cold. Took it out, cleaned it and it worked again. I then balanced the heat throughout the house to make the heating more efficient and it worked ! Yesterday, I turned off the heating to use the back boiler (which heats hot water and rads all over the house) to save a few bob on the oil, and at some point I heard pipes banging and there was like a gurgling noise from behind the chimney (i had the washing machine on spin at the time as well). The rads upstairs and the hot water tank were boiling hot while the other rads in the house were cold. I let the fire die and all back to normal..... Any idea what this could be ? Pump ? Back boiler itself ? Air in the system ? Valves ? Leaks ? Cheers & Thanks.

Steve the gas
Site Agent
Site Agent

Post by Steve the gas » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:18 am

IMO - air, keep bleeding with systm off.
Check the small tank in loft has water in too.

Hth

umalatina
Labourer
Labourer

Back Boiler Problem

Post by umalatina » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:03 pm

Hey ! Thanks very much for the reply ! :D The small tank has water (it's hard to see but it seems OK) and I bled again. I am worried to try to lit the fire again and hear the same noise etc... Do you think I can take the risk ? Or just ask a professional to completely empty the system and start again ? The funny think is that I have the feeling that the rads and the hot water are hotter now that I don't use teh back boiler.... Is that possible ?
Cheers and happy new year.

Steve the gas
Site Agent
Site Agent

Post by Steve the gas » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:31 am

I would get your service engineer out to give it the once over

TheDoctor5

Post by TheDoctor5 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:22 pm

If you type the key words of your question into our search box to the left of the site you may find the answer is already posted or is in the DIY projects section of the website. Every post goes through a monitoring process and using the search box may speed up your answer.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:41 pm