Ball Valve Gone Cause of Dripping in Immersion Tank
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

michaelsft
Labourer
Labourer

Ball Valve Gone Cause of Dripping in Immersion Tank

by michaelsft » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:17 pm

Hi everyone!

There's an annoying drip in the top tank which is constant. It's not overflowed or anything but I am concerned it will. After reading this forum I came to the conclusion it might be a faulty ball valve (simply going off what other people have said about similar issues). I have no idea what a ball valve is or if it's easy to replace. Anyway, below are some questions from me, if would be awesome if someone could help me understand this unit as I've never even seen one before moving into my new flat.

So first things first, this is what I have. Please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the cold water comes in from the middle valve with the red turning tap and the hot water comes out at the top right? Currently the red turning tap is closed as I'm having a hot tap in the bath fitted and is in pieces and it'll be like that for another day or two while some parts are sourced.

Anyway, the drip is definitely in the top part, I can hear it clearly however I cannot get a screwdriver in to the valve to try and close it due to the position of the wall. To get it to stop dripping I turned off all the water via the stop tap in the bathroom. Obviously I have no water now but the drip from the top is gone which doesn't make sense if my assumptions about that being where water goes out of is correct. Surely water dripping down would be from water going in the other direction?

Is the top valve (pictured in detail here) the 'ball valve'? Is it an easy job for a plumber to fit a new one?

Thank you for reading, any help, advice or general scolding for me not knowing what the hell I'm doing is greatly appreciated!

Also while I’m here, I may as well add that when my toilet fills up after flushing it too has a drip that lasts a long time, though does stop. I don’t think it normal to be honest as it goes on for a long time. Some sort of perished washer issue somewhere maybe?

Thanks again!
Michael

It is currently Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:12 am