Basic question about Cooker Electrics
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
deadboyfriend
Apprentice
Apprentice

Basic question about Cooker Electrics

by deadboyfriend » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:25 pm

Hi, i'm in the process of installing a new kitchen, i'm going to get an electrician to connect the cooker to the CU, but i've run the cable under the floorboards to the CU and the cooker ready for him (or her!) to make the connections.

I'm second-guessing myself, but i've run 6mm2 cable from the kitchen to the garage (10m) and the cable's come up short by about 2 meters.

Can i extend it using a 45a junction box or does it need to be a single cable stright through.

BTW, the proposed junction box would be in the garage and accessible.

Any advice?

Thanks

Simon

ericmark

by ericmark » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:36 pm

One can join but an epoxy resin filled joint will likely cost more than new length of cable.
Eric

deadboyfriend
Apprentice
Apprentice

by deadboyfriend » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:55 pm

Thanks for the response, can you explain what an expox resin filled joint is, You're probably right, just to go and buy more cable might be the easiest, it was a real nightmare to run the cable though and i'd like to avoid having to do it again.

Is there any other method of extending this cable?

ericmark

by ericmark » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:29 pm

Sorry just re-read and a Crabtree 45A Cooker Connection Unit Screwfix Pt No 47806 or similar could possibly do the job for you I has missed bit about being in garage.
Eric

deadboyfriend
Apprentice
Apprentice

by deadboyfriend » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:38 pm

Thanks for your help ericmark, i ended run re-running the cable in the end, i preferred the peace of mind of having a single continuious length of cable from the CU to the cooker switch.

Thanks again

Simon

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:41 am