basin slotted waste - no washer?
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
bemused
Tradesman
Tradesman

basin slotted waste - no washer?

by bemused » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:21 pm

I am about to fit a small cloakroom basin and the supplied chrome slotted waste comes in just two parts; the main waste and a large metal flanged nut, and crucially, no large washer. Given that the flanged nut would have to mate directly with the ceramic basin, I can't help thinking there should be a large washer between the basin and nut.

Could someone please confirm if this is the case, or do I just put in a bead of sealant?

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

by TheDoctor4 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:45 pm

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

bemused
Tradesman
Tradesman

by bemused » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:02 pm

I think I may need some help here as I don't seem to be able to find what I need in the projects. The plumbing project on fitting wastes to basins, baths etc seems to start at the trap. My problem is with fitting the chrome waste to the basin itself. Apologies if I've missed something here but I could do with a steer.

Stelf
Tradesman
Tradesman

by Stelf » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:20 pm

Hi,
You are right to be bemused. The waste fitting should have a plastic washer and perhaps even a rubber one to fit between the plastic or, in this case metal, nut and basin. However, you should be able to pick up one easily from a plumbers merchant or DIY store. If you don't get a rubber washer a sealant such as Plumbers Mait will do the trick. Take your fitting with you when you go and they will make sure you get the right bits and pieces, or plumbing shops will anyway. I'm not too sure about DIY stores although B&Q's have retired plumbers working in many of them who are very helpful. Like all plumbers they just like to show how clever we are.
Best wishes

swidders
Ganger
Ganger

by swidders » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:38 pm

yes there should be - screwing sealant in with the large nut will be very messy and likely to twist the sealant off as you go, quite apart from the fact that you will struggle to get the waste tightened satifactorily.

bemused
Tradesman
Tradesman

by bemused » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:44 am

Stelf, swidders, many thanks. I discovered a device called "basin mate" and, although I suspect some would say that "real men" don't use them, it seems to have done the job really well. Many thanks for your comments.

swidders
Ganger
Ganger

by swidders » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:02 am

Hi bemused

Nothing wrong with the fitting you suggest - we were just responding to your question. Good job, good job, well done!

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:49 am