Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
JohnE
Labourer
Labourer

Bath Fitted up to Tiles and have Sealed With Silicone but it is Still Leaking

Post by JohnE » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:04 pm

Hello

Just over 5 years ago we had our bathroom completely re-fitted and now just over 5 years later I have had to replace floor boards, studding, skirting boards and one complete side of a door frame because of water leaks.

The bathroom is fully tiles and the fitters have fitted the bath up to the tiles instead of tiling down to the bath. I have just resealed it with silicone but water is still getting around the rim. We have an electric shower at the leaky end of the bath. Is there a sealant that can be applied from underneath for example expanding waterproof foam that will find its way into all of the nooks and crannies? Tonight we shone a torch along the edges of the bath and light was clearly getting through to the underneath

Any suggestions other than take it out, cut the small amount of tile that sits below the rim and re-fit the wretched thing

proptech
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Bath Fitted up to Tiles and have Sealed With Silicone but it is Still Leaking

Post by proptech » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:07 am

Hi JohnE

It's always going to be a problem fitted like that. If it were mine, I'd have it out and re-fix properly. Although an awkward job, I'd fix a batten to the wall at the exact hight of the rim in order to fully support and prevent movement. Silicone the bath to the wall before making good the tiles, and a good fillet after as normal.

JohnE
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Bath Fitted up to Tiles and have Sealed With Silicone but it is Still Leaking

Post by JohnE » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:08 pm

Removing and refitting is going to be a real headache because although the tiles are set just below the rim and the bath could be lowered on the supports there are tiles along the vertical edge of the bath panel and these would be difficult to cut in place

The other major problem is that the shower screen would need to be lowered and the amount would not give sufficient clearance on existing fitting holes plus its been siliconedas well as screwed to the tiles on the end wall, which by the way is plaster and compressed paper

proptech
Foreman
Foreman

Post by proptech » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:26 pm

I was only saying what I would do if it were mine. In my opinion, the only way to provide a lasting result. I didn't mention lowering the bath though.

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by plumbbob » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:05 am

I've seen it all before, and there really isn't a reliable solution other than has already been mentioned.

The only chance you may have if you don't want to disturb the tiles is to remove the bath, clean off any gunk/sealant from the bath and tiles. Wait until everything is totally dry, fix a batten to the wall to support the bath rim and apply a good quality clear silicone to the entire bath edge and batten and stick it back in place. Add two brackets for good measure. Once dry, put a good bead of white silicone between the bath and tiles.

Success depends partly on how damaged from the water leak the wall is. Chance are, the tiles will fall off.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:19 am