Bathroom cabinet with shaver socket - can i rewire?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
trick97
Labourer
Labourer

Bathroom cabinet with shaver socket - can i rewire?

Post by trick97 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:54 pm

I purchased a DAR Zenia mirror cabinet as it was an illuminated cabinet with a shaver socket.

I already had the wiring for the cabinet. This is activitated off the main light circuit (i switch the light on and it powers the cabinet and shaver socket). The cabinet also has its own power on/off.

My disappointment with the cabinet is that as soon as I switch off the light, the power to the cabinet is cut and therefore my shaver/toothbrush doesnt charge. Therefore only charges when i have the light on, which isnt very often! In the past I have been used to a cabinet I assume must be powered at all times, as I can leave my shaver plugged in and it will stay charged.

Firstly Is there a way I can easily re-wire the light?
I guess If i actually do manage to re-wire so that a permanent supply goes to the cabinet, then I will also have to do something to the cabinet - as this has its own power on/off. However when its on, the lights in the cabinet are on...when its off, nothing works (shaver or light).

So im thinking whats the point of this cabinet. My shaver or toothbrush will never get the decent length of charge it requires....

Options?

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by ericmark » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:59 am

I would say the whole idea of wireless tooth brush or shaver is you don't need mains power in the bathroom.

The rules on bathrooms are very strict simply water and electric don't mix. To DIY within the law is £100+ for LABC fees so just not worth DIY.

As to when you get a registered electrician any new circuits will need RCD protection and small jobs can snowball so personally I would leave it as it is and charge else where.

The whole idea of light and socket is the light warns that socket is live. So it may not be possible to separate the functions. Also many do not comply with regulations. It has to comply with BS EN 6155R-2-5 and it must be marked as such.

Abroad they are not so keen and of course the sockets for shavers are the same near enough world wide. So there are many grey imports which should not be fitted. Where units are fitted in bedrooms BS 4573 can be used which is a much lower standard and I have seen many shaver lights which are for bedroom not bathroom use so be careful.

chriscba
Ganger
Ganger

Post by chriscba » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:30 pm

Sounds like the mirror is connected to the switch wire from the bathroom light, it will have to be swapped to the live side of the ceiling rose

carljackson47
Labourer
Labourer

Post by carljackson47 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:54 pm

I think you can still re-wire the cabinet lights. You just need to know the wiring diagram of the cabinet for you to make it successfully working again. Just be careful that no open lines will be left to avoid possible electricity related accidents.

kaceylona
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Bathroom cabinet with shaver socket - can i rewire?

Post by kaceylona » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:44 am

Thanks for sharing the useful information about bathroom vanity cabinets.

Good discussion.

Kaceylona,
spacify.com

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:53 pm