DIY Doctor

Bathroom electrics/Building control

Postby carlos61 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:31 pm

Can anyone advise me about this?
Ive just completed an en-suite bathroom. I submitted a building notice to the local authority before commencing works.
The inspector came to inspect drain connections etc. and said he would need to inspect when complete.He gave me advice on positioning and rating of lights and extractor fan etc.
After his final inspection he passed everything and checked to see if there was overide timer on the extractor and fan isolator switch... all ok. He says he will put completion certificate in the post.
Then he knocks on door after sitting in car for 5 mins. Have you got a certificate for the electrics?
Im not an electrician but have done the works to pass his inspection. Do I need a certificate from a recognised electrician or not? He says I do.
I thought if the local authority building control were happy this would suffice.
Please can anyone advise me?

Regards Carl
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:13 pm


Simply Build It

Postby sparx » Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:13 pm

all electrical work has always needed a test cert. it's just that there was no one to enforce it so people got by without, however since part p of building regs came in local authorities have got involved so answer is YES,
problem is no electrician is allowed to issue a completion cert. for work he didn't do....the only thing he can do is issue a periodic inspection cert. which although worded differently involves pretty much same tests, sorry but yer man is right!
regards SPARX
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 2166
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:33 pm
Location: The fifth continent.

Postby Mill Spark » Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:08 pm

According to the official Part P document which can be viewed on the website. Please see the project on part P.

Sections 1.24 to 1.27 cover work done by those who are not qualified to complete BS7671 certificates, ie DIYers, and states it is the local BCO (Building Control Office) that is responsible for inspection & testing notifiable work. And that this inspection & test is at the BCO's expense not the householder. The certificate supplied will only be a Building Regulations completion certificate and not BS7671 certificates.
Mill Spark
Rank: Apprentice
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:10 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics