Bathroom Extractor Fan Failure After Making Noises
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
IndyMcQueen
Labourer
Labourer

Bathroom Extractor Fan Failure After Making Noises

by IndyMcQueen » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:39 pm

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help as I'm at the end of my tether! Our Bathroom extractor fan recently starting making an unhealthy noise and then stopped working altogether. I thought it would be a relatively simple task to replace like for like, so I bought a brand new identical model (Manrose xft100t) and simply swapped them over.

Unfortunately this has not worked, there seems to be a problem with the switched live. I have re-wired the light switch and isolator switch in case it was a loose connection but no success, I found that occasionally if I jiggled the 2 switched live wires that are connected to each other in the light switch they would spark and the fan would kick in when I turned the light off. This was purely an accidental discovery as I was using an electrical screwdriver to check if the wires were live.

Has anybody got any clue? The only thing I can assume at this point is a fault with the wiring itself, but I don't understand why this would just fail?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks,

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Bathroom Extractor Fan Failure After Making Noises

by kbrownie » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:55 pm

Firstly, when you say electric screwdriver. I assume you mean a screwdriver in the disguise of test instrument?
BIN IT!
They are potentially dangerous, as they can give you bogus/unreliable readings.

You really need a two pole test instrument, a simple multi-meter can offer much better and more reliable results.

By the evidence you have given, it sounds like you have a broken/damaged conductor. This will need to be stripped back until you have end to end continuity of the conductor.
Or possibly a fault terminal or contact where these cables are terminated.
But without testing would be difficult identify the issue!

IndyMcQueen
Labourer
Labourer

by IndyMcQueen » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:27 pm

Hi,

Thanks very much for the advice, I'll give it a go this weekend and see how I get on. The screwdriver in question was the type with the orange light in it, no good? I do have a multi meter so I'll give it a go.

Just checking, when you say 'conductor' you mean the wire itself right?

Thanks,

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:33 pm

Yes do not use the screwdriver for testing they are unreliable. OK for grub screws as a screwdriver and earwax removal!!!!!
Yes the wires are known as conductors!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:08 am