Bathroom Extractor fan With isolator Switch and Pull Cord With Neon Indicator
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Annick734
Labourer
Labourer

Bathroom Extractor fan With isolator Switch and Pull Cord With Neon Indicator

by Annick734 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:28 pm

I am trying to replace a simple pull cord switch for a bathroom fan with one which incorporates a neon indicator. I want to do this because the fan has a 20 minute delay and we can never remember whether we have switched it off or not. Note that the switch for the fan is entirely separate to the light switch. As the original pull cord switch was a simple one way switch whereas the new one is a double pole, I assumed I could run a wire from the neutral terminal in the fan back to the load side of the switch to complete the neon circuit. I have replaced the switch but now have two problems. Firstly a red wire came loose in the back of the isolator switch, which I have replaced in the position I thought it came from on the load side of the switch. The pull cord switch turns the fan on OK, but also now turns it off without the 20 minute running delay. Also the neon does not seem to work (I checked it was not faulty before installation). I assume the 2 problems are not connected but any suggestions as to how I can fix them?

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Bathroom Extractor fan With isolator Switch and Pull Cord With Neon Indicator

by Mr White » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:25 pm

Your question is an easy sounding one, we often get them on forums. The problem is that it is up to whoever wired the item (Fan in this case) what colour configuration they chose to use, so unless you can identify what wire is connected to what you only have trial and error, which is never a good thing.
You should really be using a multimeter to prove the circuit is de-energised before you even touched it, that way you could then use the multimeter to establish the correct terminations.

I can only suggest you call in a competent person to do the job for you. It does NOT have to be an electrician.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:53 am