Bathroom Light Gone and Changed Bulb but Still not Working
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
tom420
Labourer
Labourer

Bathroom Light Gone and Changed Bulb but Still not Working

by tom420 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:25 am

Morning

First post so apologies for any breaches of etiquette..

I'll keep it as short and sharp as i can.

Bathroom light went, thought it was simple bulb fix, got bulb, no fix. Assume it's some kind of starter that has gone but no idea how to source or even know if such a light has a starter. Any pointers much much appreciated so i can at least narrow things down. I've enclosed some images of the unit.

Thanks
Tom
Attachments
IMG_0995.jpg
IMG_0996.jpg

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Bathroom Light Gone and Changed Bulb but Still not Working

by ericmark » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:56 pm

It is likely the electronic ballast has failed, as to if worth replacing, really not sure, getting an exact replacement if often hard, and likely better to replace whole fitting.

As to HF fluorescent v LED there is very little in it, if the fluorescent is correct output for room, then likely HF fluorescent is best option as replacement tubes are cheap, the advantage with LED is a larger range of outputs, so they can better match the room.

You can convert HF fluorescent to LED, in real terms you do away with the ballast so whole lamp needs rewiring, remember 2D lamps come as low voltage (230 VAC) and extra low voltage (12 or 24 VDC) so you need to be careful to get the 230 VAC version and watch video for 230 VAC version.

I am really out of touch with modern lamps, a 16W 2D lamp is rated 1050 lumen, but that is with a wire wound ballast, so more like 1200 lumen with electronic, looking at the LAP 16W round lamp in Screwfix this is 1200 lumen so light output per watt near enough the same. A 16W 2D rated 10,000 hours but that is extended with electronic ballast to around 15,000 hours, and LED rated at 25,000 hours, however you can't change the LED bulb you have to change whole fitting so £35 for LED and £4.50 for new fluorescent.

Personally been disappointed with LED replacements for fluorescent with tubes or 2D, although as a bulb replacing a compact fluorescent lamp with LED has worked well.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:15 am