Bathroom light switch
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Julianna
Labourer
Labourer

Bathroom light switch

Post by Julianna » Sat May 05, 2007 9:48 am

Hello,

I am creating a bathroom in one of the bedrooms upstairs (my bathroom is downstairs currently).
I hate the idea of having a pull cord for the light and there is no space for a switch outside the bathroom. Are there any alternatives to the pullcord to use?

Many thanks
Julianna

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Sat May 05, 2007 5:54 pm

we use an 'occupancy' switch, detects movement & brings on light while room in use plus some time after, fits to ceiling like pull switch without cord.

Julianna
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Julianna » Sun May 06, 2007 8:52 am

Thanks Sparx,

I would like to have a little more control over switching the lights on and off... :D

Seen something similar on one of a website, sensor.co.uk, it has a controller unit wired into the light fixture and a sensor pad you can install under a tile, glass or mirror. This sounds great, but I was not planning on tiling where the switch is going to be.. I guess I can put one on on top of it...

Why is it that anywhere else in Europe it's perfectly fine to have not only a lightswitch but even sockets in a bathroom? Are we in England more vulnerable to electric shocks in the bathroom? :D

Many thanks
Julianna

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Sun May 06, 2007 5:23 pm

Hi julianna, we have never historically(hysterically?)
allowed outlets in bathrooms but next years version of 17th edition regs does allow sockets in bathroom if at least 3metres from edge of bath, & controlled by an RCD! So you just need a ballroom for a bathroom & away you go......
To be fair we do have (did have ) the safest and best record for home safety in Europe, but 'harmonisation rules', what can I say;
There are available Zapper type controllers, rcvr in light fitting and as battery operated ok to take into the bath if you wanted to.....I fitted my occupancy switch to stop teenage children leaving light on or falling asleep reading in bath, light goes off if no movement for abt. 2 mins.
Bit of a nuisence if stuck on loo as have to keep waving arm every so often! still keeps leckie bill down, B.W. , Scrouge SPARX

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:46 am