Bathroom lighting
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
melvin
Apprentice
Apprentice

Bathroom lighting

by melvin » Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:22 pm

I am in the process of a complete re-fit to our bathroom. We can't decide on bathroom ceiling lighting. My understanding is, I can fit any style of lighting in the main ceiling area (not in the shower) as long as it sits above 225cm from the floor. Unless the product says not suitable for bathrooms. Is this correct?

summit elec
Apprentice
Apprentice

by summit elec » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:15 pm

according to 17th edition above 2.25M is classed as outside zones which means any accesory does not need ip protection. however if your house is not wired to 17th edition standards i would be inclined to fit low voltage lights or ip rated fitings.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:43 am

"My understanding is, I can fit any style of lighting in the main ceiling area (not in the shower) as long as it sits above 225cm from the floor. Unless the product says not suitable for bathrooms. Is this correct?"

Sort of. Google bathroom zones and you'll see exactly what spec equipment may go in each zone.

Lest assume for a moment they are completely new lights (perhaps downlights) with alterations to the circuit. That will require RCD protection at your consumer unit and probably an upgrade to your bonding to comply with the 17th. You also have to fit a fan if you do not already have one and that requires an isololator outside the bathroom.

In this scenario the most important part of your question though is that YOU can't do anything unless:

a) You are a "competant person" who is able to self certify that the installation meets the requirements of the 17th, issue the Installation Certificate and notify to building Control or;

b) You have persuaded Bulding Control that you are competant, paid their fee and arrange for them to inspect etc the work.

If however you are contemplating a DIRECT REPLACEMENT of an existing light / fan without circuit alteration then you CAN do that yourself and such is exempt from notification under Part P. Its a moot point to my mind (because I think its a grey area) as to whether a Minor Works Cert is required under the 17th for direct replacements.

What I'm really saying is get yourself an electrician.

Cheers

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:38 am

melvin,
your partly right, the general rule is outside zone 2 (be careful because I have seen bathroom lights still on sale that use the old zonal system with 3 zones there are no longer 3 zones).
zone 2 is 0.6 metres from edge of bath or shower basin/tray and 2.25 metre from finished floor level, beyond that is outside zones.
You can have accessories within zone 0, 1 and 2 but these are specially IP rated for particular Zone and extra low voltage eqiupment (not to be confused with low voltage).
Please also take a look at Part P on projects pages, if you are installing a new circuit, adding to or extending circuits with bath/shower room, it will need to comply. This is a legal requirement!
Just about the only thing you can do in bath/shower rooms is replace like for like accessories or you will need to notify Building Controls or employ a registered electrician (Full scope domestic installers scheme registered)
Hope this helps
KB

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:49 am