Bathroom or bedroom?
Re-generate an old or tired space and give it a fresh breath of life. Click here for answers, information and tips

nothandyman
Labourer
Labourer

Bathroom or bedroom?

by nothandyman » Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:36 pm

Hi all.

We have a two storey house in remote reurl location. Very nice!

Upstairs, 3 bedrooms and 1 small room I call a boxroom (3mx1.8) and a large bathroom (2.8x2.8).

We need to replace the bathroom but first we need to decide: should we convert the boxroom to a bathroom and convert the existing bathroom to a bedroom?

The boxroom is tricky - being an old house there is a large window floor to ceiling.

We disagree on the best thing to do from the point of view of adding value - is four bedrooms and a small bathroom really such a good idea compared with three bedrooms, a boxroom (which I use as my study) and a comfortable bathroom with all the bells and whistles?

Personally, I can't imagine a large family with many children wanting to live here, and a small bathroom with lots of kids doesn't seem like a good idea. It wouldn't appeal to me.

I'd like to do the best thing for our property value and of course for my wife for who I would do anything - but on this point she can't persuade me on her own. She watches loads of property programmes on the telly but I am not convinced by all the pundits who seem to say that more bedrooms are always better.

Also it will obviously be cheaper to refurbish the existing setup than to create a new bathroom because all the drains and plumbing will have to be re-routed but though it's a factor it's not the overriding issue. I like our larger bathroom and I am reluctant to change without a lot of convincing argument.

What do you think?

Thanks for any suggestions.

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:23 pm