Bathroom Spot lights
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
MattR
Apprentice
Apprentice

Bathroom Spot lights

by MattR » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:14 am

Hi, recently moved into our new house and there are 5 small neat chrome spots in the bathroom. I have seen them for sale in B&Q so are probably very common. They have a transformer which is mounted in the loft. When i switch the lights on, they take approx 7-10 seconds to come on. The wiring appears fine and can't figure out why they are taking so long to come on. Once you flick the switch, after a few seconds they are dimly lit then gradually get brighter and brighter then all of a sudden they come on full brightness.

What does the transformer do? What can be done to make the lights come on instantly?

Cheers

Matt

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: Bathroom Spot lights

by BLAKEY1963 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:07 am

[quote="MattR"]Hi, recently moved into our new house and there are 5 small neat chrome spots in the bathroom. I have seen them for sale in B&Q so are probably very common. They have a transformer which is mounted in the loft. When i switch the lights on, they take approx 7-10 seconds to come on. The wiring appears fine and can't figure out why they are taking so long to come on. Once you flick the switch, after a few seconds they are dimly lit then gradually get brighter and brighter then all of a sudden they come on full brightness.

What does the transformer do? What can be done to make the lights come on instantly?

MattR

transformer should allow lighting to come on instantly , normaly
assuming all connections r correctly fixed.
light sets come in 3 as well. is there a possability there r too many
lamps on this transformer.
the VA RATING , of transnformer , eg can be 150 VA , allowing
3 x 50 watt lamps to be used.
u could check , rating of transformer and condition of connections.
isolate mains first !
IF connections r sound and tranformer rating correct for total
wattage of lamps , then the only thing left is the actual transformer
and as these r sealed units , they r not maintainable .
LASTLY your transformer provides a step down voltage from
mains low voltage 240 v -- a extra low voltage on the output
of the transformer for example 12 volts.
BLAKEY1963

Cheers

Matt[/quote]

MattR
Apprentice
Apprentice

by MattR » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:14 pm

In the kitchen we have a set of 3 spots and these come on instantly and these have a transformer. The transformer appears correct for the 5 lamps and connections looks good. The 5 original bulbs are 20watt each and they take about 3 seconds to come on. They don’t provide that much brightness. I would like to put 35-watt bulbs in but I assume this would put too much strain on the transformer?

Does it sound like a faulty transformer because it takes a few seconds for the 5 x 20watt lights to come on?

If so, can you buy more powerful transformers in places like B & Q??

Many thanks

Matt

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:25 pm