bathroom window leaking
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
welshgirl
Apprentice
Apprentice

bathroom window leaking

by welshgirl » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:24 pm

My bathroom windows are Pvc and only 5 years old. While it was raining I noticed half way down the window a small trickle of water coming through the sealant. Top of the window is dry. Looking on the outside the seals look intact and the cement around the window frame was dry. Went up the attic and didn't notice anything wrong. Checked the guttering and it is not blocked however on the wall between the top of the window and the guttering this part of the wall felt quiet wet. What could be the issue? Also if the water is coming down the external wall shouldn't the window fame be a sealed unit so the water shouldn't be getting through it. Apart from the small leak in the sealant there are no other signs of water leakage in the bathroom. Can anyone help. Is the issue with the window, guttering or the roof?

Thanks

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: bathroom window leaking

by welsh brickie » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:52 pm

to eliminate if its the render or window, get a friend to hosedown the window and see if its leaking.
also open the window to see if there is water in the frame and the drainage holes are clear.

welshgirl
Apprentice
Apprentice

by welshgirl » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:41 pm

Thanks for your reply. The render on the outside of the window had blowen. No issues with window frame. Render now been replaced. But is there likely to be any damage to the internal structure of the house where the water was getting in prior to us noticing the issue and having it repaired. My bathroom is tiled from floor to ceiling. Could there be a chance that these tiles may come off while the walls are drying out?

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by welsh brickie » Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:40 pm

No I dont think so.

mathewleo
Apprentice
Apprentice

by mathewleo » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:13 am

No i think that can be the possibility. May be there is a gap left in the tiles thats why the leakage starts.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:22 pm