bed decks in loft space building regulations
Information, help and solutions to many issues encountered when converting barns and older buildings

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
lucinia
Labourer
Labourer

bed decks in loft space building regulations

by lucinia » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:20 am

Hi

I have a 1950's detached with a low loft not suitable for conversion. However, I would like to put bed decks in the space to free more floorspace in the bedrooms. I can't find any info on building regulations for this and don't know where to start.

Can you help please?

Many thanks

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: bed decks in loft space building regulations

by welsh brickie » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:47 pm

[quote="lucinia"]Hi

I have a 1950's detached with a low loft not suitable for conversion. However, I would like to put bed decks in the space to free more floorspace in the bedrooms. I can't find any info on building regulations for this and don't know where to start.

Can you help please?

Many thanks[/quote]
Start with calling an architect for advise first.He/she will have to submit plans to the local council if you plan to convert the loft anyway.

xavi99
Ganger
Ganger

by xavi99 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:21 pm

It comes under galleries in Approved Document B Vol1 of the bg regs, (page 21).

Max 7m travel distance from furthest part of gallery, and then 3m from base of stair to door.

You will need to make a structural alteration to support the gallery floor which in my opinion will probably make the scheme not viable finacially becasue essentially you are creating a new floor which has to be supported some how. Ceiling joists to the loft are not generally strong enough unless you are lucky.

If you are going to do this then you just aswell investiagte the possibility of installing a loft room albeit with the addition of a dormer raising the ridge height. There are no minimum height restrictions for rooms only a requirement for 2m over the stair and the landing.

hth

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

by TheDoctor4 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:33 am

admin test post!!!!

michaelscad
Tradesman
Tradesman

by michaelscad » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:47 am

they can span get a qoute for open metal posi/easi web joists you didn't sy what the span was
but i know they span well up to 8 metres easy to put in for the self builder take a couple of rows
of tiles off andslide them in they sit about 100mm.above the existing
install a new wallplate if neccessary it's best working off a tower safer
the great thing about these is open web for services
and they come with the compliance certificate for building regulations

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:04 am