bedroom light fitting problem
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
johnjeffries
Labourer
Labourer

bedroom light fitting problem

by johnjeffries » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:48 pm

hi all im fitting light in the bedroom and coming out the celling i have 5 cables
with a total of 5 red wires and 3 black and 3 earth .
The light i have bought has live and neutral and earth slots ive wired the light up but its on all the time and the switch don't work ? nor does the pull cord for the light ?

just as a note in the room there is only one light switch and i also have a spot light with another pull cord .

thanks in advance :?

ericmark

by ericmark » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:53 pm

The count you give does not really add up. Normally each cable would have an earth and there would be 3 not 5 cables one takes power to the lamp, one takes power to next lamp and one goes to the switch. You it seems have some extras. Normally the pull switch and wall switch would be connected together with a three core cable and only one switch would be connected to the ceiling rose. So you it seems have two extra red wires. The fault you relate to never the less is common where people connect the lamp to the red cables which are permanently at line voltage rather than what is often a black cable with red sleeving which is only at line voltage when the switch is on. Normally you will find ceiling roses have three connector blocks. One with two holes that connects the black with red sleeve wire to the flex brown wire. The centre has three holes for the line red wires. And at other end another three hole block with two black neutral wires and the blue wire of the flex. There are some pictures and diagrams in the project area. Biggest problem is when people disconnect the black switch return wire and lose the marking sleeve and get it mixed up with the neutral wires which can result in a direct short and the fuse or MCB blowing or tripping. But will two extra red wires all I can do is recommend you get an electrician on site as I have no idea what they could be for.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:21 am