Bedroom with no window - fire regulations
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
TomA
Apprentice
Apprentice

Bedroom with no window - fire regulations

Post by TomA » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:30 pm

I'm drawing up plans to convert my basement into living accomodation. As part of those plans there will be one small room which does not have an external window that will be used as a snug room/3rd bedroom. I'm told that my design will have to take into account fire regulations for means of escape and am wondering what I will need to encorporate in order to comply. The main room in the basement has an existing window and then there are stairs up to the kitchen in the main flat. Will it be enough to use fire doors with self closers or is more required?

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by kbrownie » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:04 pm

TomA,
My understanding in your case is that there needs to be a means of escape/access for fire fighters on each level, not especialy a bedroom.
But as this is a new room and a change of use condition in place it could be different?
sorry not a great deal of help, i'd be asking building controls/your local fire service.
KB

arbco
Ganger
Ganger

Post by arbco » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:46 pm

In lieu of an escape window you will have to create a protected route from the basement to the front door. This will include fire doors to all the existing habitable rooms opening onto the route, and provision of mains operated smoke detectors within the existing house/basement. You will also have to consider ventilation to the room?

TomA
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by TomA » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:20 am

I thought this might be the case, so I will need a fire door at the top of the stairs from the kitchen protecting the route to the basement window.

You mention ventilation, does this need to be thought of differently to ventilation I will be using from a damp perspective?

arbco
Ganger
Ganger

Post by arbco » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:07 pm

Please note that a protected route will have to include all doors on that route to the final exit i.e. front door. This may extend to the first and second floor depending on your layout. There may also be implications on the fire precautions from the upper floors depending on the layout. Rapid ventilation i.e. an opening window 1/20th of the floor area with trickle vents is the minimum standard for a habitable room. This may be provided by mechanical ventilation but is not the preferred option. Speak to the b control department.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1