Bespoke LED Light Fitting for Wine Bottle Light
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Bobbedi
Apprentice
Apprentice

Bespoke LED Light Fitting for Wine Bottle Light

by Bobbedi » Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:33 pm

Am looking to make a light fitting from some old wine bottles and some low voltage garden lights that I never installed in the decking.

There are 4 low voltage LED lights, no idea what power they draw (is that the right term) but they came with an MM19218 (see link below) transformer (12v 6W). So I'm guessing they are maybe 1W each.

I was hoping to wire all 4 lights into an LED driver - something like a 12v DC 10W 1.67A constant voltage driver (similar to the other link below - which I know is overpowered). I calculated my driver needs to deliver (6w/12v) = 0.5A ... is that correct?

I'll then either wire the light into the ceiling rose, or maybe use a 3-pin plug instead so the light can sit on a table/shelf (in either case, brown + blue goes into Live + Neutral on the driver?). I don't want to use the original transformer etc. as it all came with about 30m of wiring which clearly I won't need, plus the transformer will be too bulky.

Having thought it through to myself, all that I describe above sounds safe/sensible/reasonable, but I'd be grateful if anybody can spot any obvious errors/omissions.

Many thanks.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MM19218-12v-6W-UK-PLUG-POWER-SUPPLY-ADAPTOR-ADAPTER-CHRISTMAS-LED-LIGHTS-DRIVER-/324082405186

https://cpc.farnell.com/powerpax/led-dr-12v-1670-20/led-driver-12v-1-67a-constant/dp/PW03083?st=led%20driver%2012v

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Bespoke LED Light Fitting for Wine Bottle Light

by Mr White » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:29 pm

Put a flex on it and plug it in, don't even think of wiring it to a ceiling rose.
You should put the driver in a suitable box.

Why not use the original transformer, cut the excess cable off as you won't be needing it as you will not have the lights either.

Bobbedi
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Bobbedi » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:26 pm

Thanks for that quick response.

- Why should I not wire it into the ceiling rose - I'm confused?
- What box would I put the driver in - I had assumed I would just fix it to my light somehow?
- I didn't want to use the original transformer etc. as each light has 5m of cable which connects into a 4-way splitter thing - all of which would be too bulky ... I wanted a more minimal looking light.

If I don't use the supplied splitter, then I've read that I need to wire the LEDs in parallel ... is that correct?

Thanks

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

by Mr White » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:00 pm

You shouldn't wire it into a ceiling rose as it is a "table light"

You should put the driver into a suitable box, be that a DIY box or purpose made adaptable box. It will keep the driver safe.

I said cut the cable off from the original transformer, you wont be needing anything else it has such as "splitters"

I would assume all the LED's should be in parallel it depends on the current configuration

Bobbedi
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Bobbedi » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:09 pm

Thanks again Mr White,

Sorry for the confusion ... I might make it into a hanging light from the ceiling - hence wiring it into the ceiling rose - albeit I'll need some chain (or similar) as it will be quite heavy.

Understand now about protecting the driver.

As long as I'm on the right path with my thinking, I'll order the driver and make a start.

Cheers.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:31 am