best place to hide join in skirting board
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
neilydone
Labourer
Labourer

best place to hide join in skirting board

by neilydone » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:45 pm

I am laying skirting board along the long wall edge in the spare room.

the longest length of skirting board is 2.4m and the wall is about 3.3m.

I have laid the first piece so that the end is behind one of the pipes coming up from the floor for the radiator.

I have tried to cut another piece to fit so that the next join should be behind the other vertical pipe of the radiator at the other end - however, my hamfisted attempts at cutting a decent vertical profile have so far failed...!

My question is thus should I persevere with this (possibly running out of all the MDF skirting in the local DIY shops) or should I use a whole length of the skirting board and put another join which will be more obvious, about 4in from the first vertical pipe for the radiator.

Of course I can fill over but I would like to do a decent a job as possible without completely breaking the bank!

Thanks in advance!

Neil

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:25 pm

obviously you want to put the join where it is least noticeable, without sight of the job it's hard to say but perhaps under the radiator might be easier than right behind a pipe?

if lengths are available to span the entire run then that is always favourable - no join at all required. might need to remove the radiator to get the skirting behind the pipes but that's not a big issue.

when joining two lengths of skirting along a straight run it is usual practice to cut the ends at 45 degrees rather than butt-jointing as you get a neater result.

hope that helps.

johnthejoiner
Apprentice
Apprentice

skiing board

by johnthejoiner » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:19 pm

when you cut your joint hold or clamp the two peices together cut the joint then cut to length of room so your joint is behind a pipe if you cut both togther its forced to fit

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:03 pm