Best Tool For Decking, Flatpacks, Medium Fixings and Automotive - Suggestions Needed
Ask questions and find answers on all aspects of tools including hand & power tools.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
keratos

Best Tool For Decking, Flatpacks, Medium Fixings and Automotive - Suggestions Needed

by keratos » Thu May 22, 2014 4:58 pm

I've spent a week, yup a week, searching forums and also searching (google) product reviews. sososo confused. Too many choices. Can you help me please.

I want to buy a cordless power tool - I do not want corded so please, as much as "experts" like to sing their praise, please avoid corded recommendations. Now, with that out of the way, here is my requirement:

1. screw 4" lag (USA speak? I think we call them "bolts") through my garden deck joists and frame
2. screw 2" to 3" deck screws around the frame and to fix deck boards
3. small to medium automotive fastener (insert and remove general screws and bolts around fasteners on my motornbike and car, maybe to remove/insert screws and bolts on circlips, panels, etc.
4. drill holes into plasterboard and wood to fix household items such as lighting, pictures, curtain rails, etc.
5. Drill into brick to hang stuff around the gardens and shelves in the garage
6. Assembly/disassembly of flatpack

I wont be working flat out all day on these, I'm not a pro, just the odd job around the house now and then - last time I used a drill was 6 months ago but I've got this deck job which pals say I need an impact driver for but they dont appear to serve as drills

Now, I've learned that there are drills, drill/drivers, combis, hammers, impact .... which MAKE and MODEL should I go for.

proptech
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Best Tool For Decking, Flatpacks, Medium Fixings and Automotive - Suggestions Needed

by proptech » Thu May 22, 2014 11:25 pm

Hi keratos

You say "a" power tool. For the jobs you're listing, I'd be inclined to go for a 18 volt combi drill. That would enable you to drill into any material other than really hard masonry, and drive screws.
A drill/driver is basically the same, but without impact action, ruling out drilling into walls. An impact driver has fantastic power for inserting large screws, but that's all it does, in fact, although quite useful on a decking job, you'd have to be careful not to drive the screws right through the wood, and out the other side.
I would suggest that the bolts would probably be best inserted by hand, after drilling. And as for auto work, do you really need to use a power tool ? after all, in a lot of situations there's not the space to get the tool in.

As to manufacturer, we all have out favorites, But if you go for a professional tool by one of the big boys you won't go far wrong. Look at Makita, DeWalt, Bosch, Hitachi, the choice is yours.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:25 pm